Saturday, March 7, 2009

What's that girl? Timmy's in the well again?!

We are looking for a dog. One would assume getting an animal would be an easy thing.
Not so my friends. To acquire a dog in an ethical humane manner, you are forced to jump through hoops and perform tricks.

We refuse to buy from a pet store, out of the newspaper and cannot afford to go to a breeder. We want to 'adopt' from a shelter/SPCA/Rescue.

We're not picky, we know we're looking for a bigger dog. Lab/Retriever/Shepard mixes and mutts are welcome.

We spent the day at a local shelter meeting some of the dogs. Oh it broke my heart to be there. I wanted to take them ALL home. Big, Little, Skittish, Loud, didn't matter. I wanted to rescue them all.

My hubby, whose heart is normally 2 sizes too small has a real soft spot for animals and it is amazing to see him with them. Makes me fall in love with him all over again. {Now if only he could pet me that way..} But I digress....

We found a pure-bred German Shepard named Annie who is just gorgeous! We played and walked her and watched how she interacted with Little J. She would need some obedience training but other than that she was good.

So we get to the 5 page adoption application. Holy Shyte! I cannot believe how much information they want! I don't know the answers to most of the questions!

It was less complicated to walk out of the hospital with our human child.

Scary huh?

Keep your fingers crossed that we find 'our' dog. :)

4 comments:

  1. Good luck on finding the perfect dog for you! I can't believe the application was that long. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy how shelters say how over-crowded they are, but yet put a person through hell and back when they're trying to help the problem by adopting!! Hope you guys find one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it is crazy! We got our daughter a kitten 2 Christmases ago and it was hard work. We had the same kind of application here and they had a news report about a Dr being denied in our area. You have to be home so many hours per day.....well my husband and I both work so we wouldnt qualify. There was different standards for dogs and cats but yeah....wth?
    We got a free kitten out of the paper and he is the best cat ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is crazy the hoops they make you jump through to adopt a dog. And yet, octamom can have eight babies and it's a-okay. Good luck on the adoption!

    ReplyDelete